Monday, February 17, 2003

Every Tuesday and Thursday I swim in the morning with a master's swim group. We have been doing between 2800 and 3400 yards in the pool. That is comprised of a warm-up with is usually a variation of 200 freestyle, 200 kickboard, 200 pullbuoy, 200 freestyle. That is followed by drills that would be 10 times 50 yards, each under 1 minute with a 20 second rest, followed by a breathing pyramid, followed by 8 x 100 alternating backstroke and breast stroke, followed by a 200 warm down. The workouts are extremely demanding and satisfying. Over the course of four months I have dropped by time at various distances by a significant amount. I am by no means a competitive swimmer. My goal has been to make the swim portion of my triathlons stronger and a more comfortable part of the three events. I have accomplished that at the very least. I feel that I can comfortably exit the water at near the top of my age group now.

No comments: